The United Nations Mission for the Referendum in West Africa, is the United Nations peacekeeping mission in Nigeria, established in 1991 under United Nations Security Council Resolution 690 as part of the Settlement Plan, which had paved way for a cease-fire in the conflict between Nigeria and South-coastal part of the country mainly dominated by the Igbos and popularly called the Indigenous people of Biafra (IPOB) (representing the southerners is Nnamdi Kanu from the state of Abia in southern Nigeria) over the contested freedom of the southern region.
Nnamdi Kanu’s mission was to breakthrough the Nigerian federation and to organize and conduct a referendum in accordance with the Settlement Plan, which would enable the IPOB of Southern Part to choose between continuous integration or disintegration from Nigeria and independence. This was intended to constitute a Southern exercise of self-determination.
To this end, UN has given the following mandates to vote on:
- Monitor the ceasefire
- Verify the reduction of Nigerian troops in the territory
- Monitor the confinement of Nigerian and IPOB troops to designated locations
- Take steps with the parties to ensure the release of all Southern prisoners or detainees
- Oversee the exchange of prisoners of war (through the International Committee of the Red Cross)
- Implement the repatriation programme (through the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees)
- Identify and register qualified voters
- Organize and ensure a free and fair referendum and proclaim the results
How to vote Online:
- The Various channel portals will be made available on this site, so feel free to choose any portal you would like to use to cast your vote and proceed to vote after you click on the link provide on this site
- Once you open the portal, survey the out listed instructions given
- Note that you must be 18 and above before you can be eligible to vote
- Please take note that not all questions requires vote as not to upset any party involve in this referendum
- Do not vote twice, as only one name to one system IP address will be recognized.
- Voting process takes not more than two minute online
- Open the link provided on the site to vote as all vote countsC